Sunday, July 5, 2009

Too-Easy Peach Cobbler


I will go before you and make the rough places smooth; I will shatter the doors of bronze and cut through their iron bars.  I will give you the treasures of darkness and hidden wealth of secret places, So that you may know that it is I, the Lord, the God of Israel, who calls you by your name.  Isaiah 45:2-3

This is my go-to quick and easy cobbler recipe.  You can use it for other fruits but it would be a shame to pass on some Chilton county peaches this time of year!   The photo is not great but just wanted to show you that the top does not look like pieces of white bread after it bakes.  It'll fool your guests into thinking you slaved over it!  

6 medium peaches, peeled & sliced
5 slices white bread, crusts removed
1- 1.5 Cups sugar
2 T. all-purpose flour
1 egg
1/2 C. butter, melted

Place peaches in an 8-inch square baking dish coated with Pam.  Break bread into pieces and place over the top of the peaches.  In a bowl, combine sugar, flour, egg and melted butter.  Pour over fruit and bread.  Bake at 350 for 35 minutes or until golden brown.

Serves 6
Food for Thought

Tips:
The peaches right now are pretty small so I used almost a whole basket of peaches (about 12-15 small ones).  I also like lots of crust so I use about 10 pieces of bread to fully cover the peaches.  You can play with the proportions based on what you like.  You really can't mess this one up!  

No comments: