Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Bruschetta

Those who trust in the Lord are as Mount Zion, which cannot be moved but abides forever.  Psalm 125:1

I have always loved bruschetta and was on the lookout for a good recipe.  I came across this one and we loved it!  It is a delicious appetizer that can be prepped earlier in the day and tossed in the oven when your company arrives.  I served it as a fun bread/side dish with grilled chicken for my family.  


1/2 C. extra-virgin olive oil
2 large cloves, minced
4-5 medium fresh tomatoes (about 1 lb.), seeded & chopped
1/2 C. finely chopped red or sweet onion
1/3 C. fresh basil, coarsely chopped
1-1.5 T. balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
8 large slices crusty italian bread or 24 small slices (i just used one baguette from Publix and cut pieces about 1/2 inch thick)
1 C. grated mozzarella cheese (optional)
Parmesan or feta (optional)

In small bowl combine oil & garlic; let stand for a few minutes.  In medium bowl mix tomatoes, onion, basil, balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper & 2 Tablespoons of the garlic mixture.  Stir well to blend and let stand 20 minutes.

Preheat oven to broil.  Brush both sides of the bread slices with the garlic-oil mixture.  Place on a baking sheet.  Broil 5 inches from the heat, turning the slices until each side is lightly toasted.  (The bread will brown VERY quickly, so watch carefully.  Mine took about 1.5 minutes on each side to crisp up.)  

Spoon the tomato mixture onto each bread slice and top with mozzarella and Parm. or feta.  Return to baking sheet and broil until cheese is melted and tomato mixture is warmed.

The Junior League at Home

Tips:
I cooked the pieces of bread earlier in the day and left them sitting on top of the stove on the cookie sheet all afternoon.  I made the tomato mixture and stored it in the fridge all day.  Just before dinner, I topped the bread with the mixture and turned the oven on bake (not broil) and let it warm up for about 10-15 min. while I prepped the rest of dinner.  When I mixed up the tomato mixture, I went ahead and mixed a handful of feta in there.  I only used feta and not the parm. or mozzarella and we loved it that way.  I also used garlic granules rather than minced garlic... i have never been a fan of biting into a piece of garlic so the granules give you the flavor without the chunks!  

1 comment:

PincherBug said...

Mincing garlic always leaves your fingers sticky and smelly all day long. YUK:( I found a better way!