Sunday, June 14, 2009

Chocolate Peanut Butter Brownies



Who have I in heaven but thee?  And besides Thee I desire nothing on earth.  My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.  Psalm 73:25-26 

I have sent out lots of chocolate peanut butter recipes but here is another one that is to die for... and the best part is that it uses a box mix for the brownies!  Thanks to Amy Whitson for passing along this easy was to dress up regular brownies.  It is so yummy that I have made it 2 times in the  past 2 weeks at the request of my hubby.

2 boxes Brownie mix with chocolate chunks

Peanut Butter layer:
1/2 C. peanut butter
2 C. powdered sugar
1/2 C. butter
2 tsp. milk

Chocolate Glaze:
1 C. chocolate chips
1/4 C. butter

Mix brownies according to the directions on the box.  Line a 13 x 9 pan with foil (or parchment paper) and spray with pam.  Bake brownies.

Let cool at least an hour.  Mix 1/2 C. butter (softened), peanut butter, powdered sugar and milk with mixer until smooth.  Remove brownies from pan, remove foil and place on a tray.  Ice brownies with peanut butter filling.

Melt 1/4 C. butter and chocolate chips in microwave.  Stir together until smooth.   Spread across the top of the peanut butter filling.  Chill in fridge for at least 30 minutes.  Store in fridge and either eat chilled, room temp, or warmed up. 

Makes lots!  Super rich so you can cut them small.

Tips:
When I made these, I did not need to make such a big batch so I just did one box of mix in an 8 x 8 dish.  Derek & I are big peanut butter fans so I still made the full amount of PB even though I had cut the brownies in half.  It made for a thick, fluffy layer.  Then I cut the chocolate glaze recipe in half.  When you make the peanut butter layer, it will be fluffier if you do not melt the butter but just soften it a bit.   You may have to add more milk to get it spreadable.  If you nuke one of these (straight from the fridge) for about 7 seconds before you eat it, it unlocks the flavor in a way that will leave you saying "MMMMMMMM!" 

Lazy Method:
OK, I did not have the patience to do all of the steps exactly, so here is what i recommend if you want to speed it up.  Make the brownies.  While cooking, make the PB.  As soon as the brownies finish, leave them in the pan and smooth the PB on.  You will have to do it gently or use you finger so you don't tear up the hot brownies.  Then make the glaze and go ahead and put it on and stick in the fridge.  It works just as well and just has to stay in the fridge a little bit longer to get firmed up.  Then just remove them from the pan as needed.  

No comments: