Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Chicken & Wild Rice Soup

The prayer of a righteous man is powerful & effective. James 5:16B

The fall has made me crave soup for dinner. I tried this recipe last week and we loved it. Even Derek, who is not a huge soup fan, said over and over "This is really really good." It was also hearty enough to fill up his belly, while most soups leave him asking "what else is for dinner?" Yea for fall weather and warm bowls of soup to curl up with... there will be more soup recipes in the weeks ahead!

1 C. butter
1 C. carrots, chopped
3/4 C. celery, chopped
3/4 C. onion, chopped
2 qt (8 cups) chicken broth
2 Chicken bouillon cubes
1 (6oz) box long grain & wild rice mix with herbs
8 oz. fresh mushrooms, sliced
1/2 C. flour
1 qt (4 cups) milk
3 C. chicken, cooked & chopped

Melt 1/4 C. butter in a Dutch oven/ large soup pot. Add carrots, celery & onion. Saute until veggies are tender (about 7 minutes). Stir in broth, bouillon, wild rice mix and the seasoning packet. Simmer for 30-40 minutes or until rice is tender.

Melt 1/4 C. butter in skillet and add mushrooms. Saute until tender. Melt remaining 1/2 C. butter in a pot. Stir in flour. Cook 1-2 minutes or until bubbly, stirring constantly. Stir in milk gradually. Cook until the sauce coats the back of a spoon, stirring constantly. Add the sauce, mushrooms and chicken to the rice mixture. Cook until just thickened, stirring occasionally. Ladle into soup bowls.

Makes 12 cups.
Tables of Content

Tips:
I do not like mushrooms, so I did not use them or the 1/4 C. butter called for to saute them in. I also do not like big chunks of veggies in my soup so lately I have been pureeing them when I make soup. I just chopped them up into bigger hunks. Cooked them in the butter for 3-4 minutes and then put it all in a food processor. Then transfered them back to the big pot. I let my soup simmer at the end for probably 45 minutes and checked on it occasionally. I generally never stir constantly when a recipe says to (don't have time!) so in this recipe, you need to when you add the flour but can just check on it when you add the milk. You can freeze leftovers. Makes a TON!

No comments: