Sunday, October 4, 2009

Favorite Banana Bread


Teach me your way, O Lord; I will walk in your truth; Unite my heart to fear your name. Psalm 86:11

I'm a big fan of banana bread. Especially when I buy bananas and then forget to eat them all week and they are left looking a little pitiful. This is the perfect use for the super ripe ones! My kids eat this up for breakfast and I figure with the whole wheat flour and fruit perhaps it is not too bad for them?


1.5 C. whole wheat flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 C. sugar
1/2 C. butter, softened
1 C. mashed very ripe bananas (about 4 bananas)
1/2 C. sour cream
2 eggs
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 C. chopped pecans (optional)

Optional Glaze:
1 C. powdered sugar
1 T. orange juice

Preheat oven to 350. Mix flour, soda & salt together. Beat sugar and butter in a mixing bowl at medium speed until blended, scraping down the sides. Stir in bananas, sour cream, eggs, vanilla & cinnamon. Add flour mixture gradually, beating until just blended. Spoon into 2 greased & floured, 5 by 9 loaf pans and bake for 50-60 minutes or until tops are brown and a toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pan on wired rack for 10 minutes. Remove and cool completely on wire rack.

If you want to glaze it, mix the sugar and orange juice until blended/ lumps are gone. Drizzle over both loaves after you take them out of the oven and while still in the pans. Then let them cool completely in the pan.

Yields: 2 loaves (Freeze one loaf or give away!)
Tables of Content

Tips:
The whole wheat flour is a must in this recipe. It gives it a rich, nutty flavor even when you leave out the pecans. Also, I'm just really into orange glaze right now which is why I added that. If you glaze it while still in the pan, it all oozes down the sides and coats them and makes it so yummy to eat. Toasted with butter is my personal favorite way to eat this! :)

No comments: