Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Meat & Noodle Casserole (new)


Be still and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth. Psalm 46:10

My sister gave me a recipe for "husband's delight" years ago and then my mom forwarded me a recipe from a friend of hers called "green onion spaghetti." They are very similar so I just took bits of each recipe to make this one and renamed it "meat & noodle casserole." (I know, very creative name!) It is not the most gourmet dish but it is something the kids will gobble up, quick to make, and makes a ton.

2 lb. ground beef
1 small onion, chopped
2 (8oz.) cans tomato sauce
1 (8oz.) block cream cheese
1 (8oz.) sour cream
1 bunch green onions (chop about 4-5 stalks in the bunch)
1 (12oz.) package medium egg noodles
8 oz. shredded sharp cheddar

Brown the meat with chopped onion and drain. Add tomato sauce, sprinkle generously with garlic salt, and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Cook noodles. Mix noodles with cream cheese, sour cream & green onions.

In 2, 8 by 8 dishes or one 9 by 13 dish layer: meat, noodle mixture, 1/2 cheddar cheese and then repeat. Bake at 350 for 30 min. or until heated through and bubbly.

Serves 10-12

Tips:
Start the water boiling for the noodles and then work on the meat. Put the cream cheese, sour cream, green onions in a large mixing bowl. When noodles are done and drained, dump the hot noodles on top and let it sit for a minute while you finish up something else. The hot noodles will melt the cream cheese and then you can stir it all up. This dish freezes great. Freeze before cooking it. This is also an easy one if you need to take a meal to someone because you will have enough for your family and theirs.

No comments: