Monday, January 25, 2010

Sprite Pound Cake

My prayer is not that you take them out of the world, but that You protect them from the evil one. John 17:15

In my "nesting" I decided to organize piles of recipes that I have clipped out over the past few years and done nothing with. This was one of those recipes lost in the pile. I remember clipping it and just being intrigued by it. I had heard of Coca Cola cake but never a Sprite one. It is SUPER easy and a delicious pound cake. It is lighter tasting than some I have had and is SUPER MOIST. I suggest toasting it with butter or eating it with a big scoop of ice cream and strawberries on top! (Photo is AR getting an IV last week to get fluids in her body after a bad stomach bug... and she decorated my big tummy with stickers while in the ER.)

1 C. butter, softened
1/2 C. shortening
3 C. sugar
5 eggs
1.5 tsp. lemon extract
1.5 tsp. vanilla extract
3 C. flour, sifted
7 fl. oz. sprite or lemon-lime soda

Preheat oven to 300. Grease and flour 1 (10 inch) tube pan or 2 (8 inch) tube pans. Set aside.

In a large bowl, beat butter, shortening & sugar until creamy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add lemon and vanilla extracts, beating to combine. Gradually add flour and sprite to mixture in 3 batches, beating well after each addition and ending with sprite. Pour into prepares pan.

Bake 1 hour or until tester comes out with only a few moist crumbs. Let cool in pan for 30 minutes. Invert onto cake plate and cool completely.

Makes 12-16 servings
Taste of the South

Tips:
This recipe was actually called 7-up cake but I don't like 7-up so I used Sprite and changed the name :) I did it in one large tube pan & my oven took almost 1.5 hours to cook it. I've mentioned this in the past but for new readers, if it says add one egg at a time, here is an easy method. Crack all the eggs into a glass or bowl and them you can just pour out one egg at a time. That way you don't have to wash your hands in between cracking and using the mixer a bunch of times.

1 comment:

Fittsy said...

It was great to meet you yesterday at church. Thanks again for posting all your yummy recipes. Stephen and I surely do enjoy them!